no more crumbly bread



I pitched the bread machine years ago after attending one of SHAR'S cooking classes and learning how to make 100% whole wheat bread from scratch.

I quickly realized that the feelings I had developed of being some what well, ok, a whole lot intimidated by this so called "complex process" of making bread quickly vanished once I got in there and actually tried it. It turned out to be quite easy and enjoyable.

Let's face it there's nothing like healthy, nutrient rich, hot homemade bread right out of the oven. I will admit however that within a day it wasn't so "HOT" anymore because it began to crumble and I dislike crumbly bread very much.

I wanted to find a way to make 100% whole wheat bread with the same consistency as the store bread.

So how could I alter the texture? Well, I simply added sour cream to my bread recipe. It worked! Now I have what I would consider the perfect loaf of bread.
Try it out and let me know what you think!

Start out by adding anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of sour cream to your favorite bread recipe.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------

Here is the recipe that I use:

6 cups warm water
2 TBS. salt
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup honey
3 TBS. dough enhancer
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
3 TBS. instant yeast
1/4 cup sour cream
Fresh ground flour (about 10-11 cups) just keep adding flour until the the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

This is totally optional... I added 1 cup of pre-packaged 14 GRAIN MIX(from Shar's store)

or make your own...
1 cup nine grain cracked cereal
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup millet, 1/3 cup flax seed
1/3 cup sesame seed
1/3 cup amaranth

This makes 5 plus loaves of bread. You will need a BOSCH to be able to handle this much dough. If you don't have one, start saving it will be well worth the investment!

In case you need some guidance...

Add ingredients to bosch universal mixer bowl(start with 2 cups of flour). Turn machine to speed 1 and continue to add wheat flour until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. When you can see the sides pull clean as well as the dough coming clean from the bottom of the bowl you know you have enough flour. The dough should be sticky at this point.

Knead on speed 1 for 8-10 minutes or until the gluten has been developed. If you feel your dough is too dry, add a few tablespoons of water to moisten. If your dough starts sticking just add white flour to take up the moisture.

Oil hand, remove dough from mixer onto a slightly oiled counter. Divide your dough into 5 loaves.

Shape loaves [you can brush top of loaf with egg wash (1 egg with 2 TBSP water) and roll in oats], and place in a well greased or sprayed pan (never use oil! use pam spray). Cover with a dry towel and let rise until dough has risen double (30-60 minutes).

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until the inside temperature is 200 degrees.

Cool on cooking racks before putting into bread bags. The bread can be frozen for up to 30 days.

Comments

Michelle said…
Hey! I don't have a bread recipe, will you send me yours?! Email me please adammichelle@aol.com
Carroll Family said…
I have got to try that!!! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

BACK TO SCHOOL 2012.