chores by choice

In my experience, getting a child to do the assigned chores they're responsible for can be challenging. The worst is when the children get bored with their routine schedule that you have worked so hard on or maybe it's listening to them complain or perhaps even worse than that is when they don't even do the chore in the first place, leaving you angry or just down right frustrated.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Well, I've come up with a plan that eliminates the anger, frustration, and complaining, as a matter of fact, it is replaced with praise, gratitude, and appreciation. I understand that this may not be appealing to some of you once you've read through this and realize that the organizer of the home (I'm assuming that would be MOM) is left to do what no one else wants to do. But, this really seems to work around our home.

OK, enough babbling. Let me pass on a simpler way to get your children to pitch in.

First, I went to Staples and bought everything you see in this photo.



Big smiley face circles (to list chores that need to be done around your house) I've included as many chores as I could possibly think of such as dishes, vacuum, trash, curb trash, bathroom, organize kitchen drawers, vacuum car, baseboards, etc. you name it, I've included it.

Plastic bins (one for each child)

Adhesive hooks (to hang plastic bins from)

Dry erase marker (one for each child) eliminates arguing! Don't forget to write their name on it.

A 5.5 x 6.5 laminated card of each child's personal responsibilities. This list is not considered chores around our home. These are things you are individually responsible for. Looks like this...
*for those of you who want to know what magazine means, they need to read an article out of the Ensign, friend, or New Era.

SEVEN (for each day of the week) 1.5 inch plastic colorful circles (each child is assigned a color).

Several blue squares ( you can pick anything you'd like) This was handy because I already had them. Used as a "BAD' token ( I chose blue because they're usually crying the blues when they get one.


Big yellow smiley circles ( just for fun) with the words KIND ACT written on it.

Now, let me explain...

1.Each child must complete their white personal responsibility card daily. For completing it on your own without being reminded you receive one of the 1.5 inch plastic circles in your bin at bedtime. Seven circles is a perfect score for the week. If you have to be reminded to do anything on the card or you forgot, you still have to complete it, you just don't get a circle.

*My kiddos only get to go to birthday parties, sleepovers, movies, etc. with friends if they've completed their card for the day (some get it done a little quicker than others).

2. If you chose to do a chore to help Mom out, you simply find the smiley face circle with the chore you've completed written on it and slide it into your bin. You trade these circles in at the end of the week for cash. We do 50 cents each(if you have deeper pockets or less children, you may be able to afford more). This makes good pocket change when the kids want to go to a movie, etc. with friends. It's all earned around our house.

3. Small blue squares are used if you've fallen short of your responsibilities around the home. For example if you've left toys out, clothes on the floor, etc. you'll be paying Mom back $1 per blue square when it's time to cash in circles.

Moms, whether we like it or not, money is one of the best motivators for people or in this case, our kids. Trust me! Your house will never look so clean. Now, for those of you who ask, "How do you keep your house so clean?" The secret is out!

If you ever come to my house and its slightly messy, It's a guarantee that you'll see a few empty pocketed, frowning children, moping around.

OK, on a lighter side, The Yellow circles, labeled Kind act. This is just something I threw in for fun. If you have done a kind act for someone else in the family and they have noticed, they might put a kind act in your bin. Who ever has the most yellow circles when the week is drawing to an end (we have chosen Sunday night to cash in our circles) you get to pick something special out of the candy jar.

Oh, before I forget, the child with the most 1.5 inch circles (remember, this is for completing your personal responsibilities, not worthy of cashing in for money because this is what you do to contribute to being a responsible member of the family) gets a $5.00 bonus. I can justify this because only one child wins. Don't worry, please don't worry, for as long as I've been doing this it's rare that a child gets all seven circles in their bin, that would mean a perfect child and who has that? I have never had a tie. The one with the most gets the cash prize. The winner at our house usually has at least five circles. On ONE occasion he had all seven.

Wow! That's an earful. I just wanted to pass along what has motivated our children to help keep our home clean, neat and humming along smoothly.

I've noticed that I spend less time focusing on what they didn't get done because theirs no expectation. I do however notice when they have done a little chore here and there and I'm full of appreciation because they have just lighted my load.

If they choose not to help I have just put 50 cents in my own pocket. Either way I win!

I'll leave you with a quote from Steve Chandler. "The value of communicating with people in a praising way is huge, to both people. It helps you (the praiser) focus on the actions and qualities you admire, thereby raising your sense of gratitude about who you live and work with. When you are praising someone you are changing your energy to a more positive, upbeat vibration and internal rhythm. You do better work that way. And when work is through, you connect more with your loved ones."

"And the praise helps the other person, too. It gives her something money can't buy. It gives the other person a sense of worthiness."

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps in your home as much as it has in mine.

Comments

candice said…
I'm all over this! I have been needing to refresh the way we work out chores around here. Thanks!!
I like this. My kids have been pretty good at chores, but I do have to repeat myself a lot. New goal...get baby to start sleeping so I can have the brain to organize this system. I am excited to try it. Thanks for sharing.
Karen said…
This is great! I've been looking to start something like this for my kids. Thanks for posting!
Kristen said…
I love that you share your ideas with the rest of us. Looks like I need to head to Staples. I also just got an email that Steve Chandler is speaking at the Real Estate school on Sept 18. I signed up to go. Can't wait!
dustin and amy said…
Oh Yea! I've been waiting for this, I can't wait to get started. Now to just find the time to go to the store and get the stuff! It will be fun to see how the kiddos react to this one.
kelli said…
how blessed your kids are to have YOU!
Anonymous said…
This is really a good idea!
Shelby said…
Lorri! You have some AWESOME ideas! Thank you so much for sharing your talents and gifts! You have a beautiful family! Take Care!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

BACK TO SCHOOL 2012.