big city market

Have you ever looked at grocery shopping as a rewarding experience?

I haven't.

Until I went to Denver.

I wish I could do my grocery shopping every week at Tony's market. It was just a hop skip and a jump away from where we were staying. Located right in the heart of the city.

There is just something unique about a fresh market. Let me tell you, fresh is exactly what you get to. My mouth was watering just walking down the isles(Could you ever say that about Wal-mart?) This market had a large deli, bakery. I wish you could see the cakes that come out of this place. It has a huge selection of meats and seafood. And best of all a bistro that was absolutely deelish!

Mr. B.T.C and I walked down (crutches and all) and enjoyed the best breakfast ever! While I was eating I began thumbing through this recipe magazine and decided it was a must have.
When I got home this was the first recipes I tried. Oh man was it ever good. So I'm sharing it with you.
It was nice eating a tostada that wasn't deep fried(I like clean eating). You lightly coat tortillas with vegetable oil spray and bake at 450 until lightly browned and crisp(about 10 minutes).

TOSTADAS
12(6 inch) corn tortillas
vegetable oil spray

1 lb. boneless pork butt
2 onions, 1 quartered (1cup) and 1 minced
5 garlic cloves, 3 smashed and 2 minced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1(15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 TBLS. ground chipotle powder
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper

Cook pork, quartered onion, smashed garlic and thyme. Drain pork, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Discard onion, garlic, and thyme sprigs. Return shredded pork to saucepan. Add
minced onion and cook. Stir in minced garlic and oregano. Sir in the reserved cooking liquid, tomato sauce, beans, chipotle powder, and bay leaves. Cook about 7 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves ad season with salt and pepper to taste.

This meal was just the way I like it easy, good and light. I prepared a healthy dessert to go with it(something I got off the food network channel while waiting for Mr. B.T.C's meeting to end). It was a hit with the kids and hubby.
Strawberries (quartered)
green grapes, cut in half lengthwise ( I used black seedless grapes)
blueberries
poppy seed
sugar
lime juice
pistachio nuts toasted ( I just broiled on cookie sheet for 30 sec.)

Enjoy. If you ever get the opportunity to visit a market in the city don't pass it up. It's quite the experience.

Comments

Kelly said…
So yummy! Thx for sharing. And Yes I HATE grocery shopping. Cause it's usually price matching @ walmart. No fun. :(
But it is kinda entertaining for people watching. :)
kelli said…
Loved baking this instead of frying!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

BACK TO SCHOOL 2012.