A New Friend
We have new neighbors.
And along with the new neighbors came a new little friend.
The only problem is...this little friend seems to think our home is her home.
She waits for us to pull into the driveway and then walks right in—uninvited! She prances around the house as if she owns the place, making herself perfectly comfortable wherever she pleases.
And wouldn't you know it...
She's managed to win over everyone in the house.
Especially Bree.

Our little Breeley has wanted a kitten for what seems like forever. In fact, while we were visiting my sister in Utah this past summer, she "found" a kitten while exploring the neighborhood with her cousins.
She begged.
She pleaded.
She cried.
And we still came home...
kittyless.
I'm pretty sure we broke that little girl's heart.
But apparently Bree wasn't giving up that easily.
A kitten has been part of her daily prayers ever since we left Utah.
And now, months later, a kitten that looks remarkably similar to the one she fell in love with in Utah has practically moved herself into our house.
Coincidence?
I'm beginning to wonder.
I seriously think Bree may have prayed this cat here.
And just when I thought I could continue enjoying our cute little visitor without actually becoming a cat owner, our neighbors offered to GIVE her to us.
How nice of them.
Especially since they made the offer right in front of our seven year old cat lover.
Terrific.
Now what am I supposed to do with that?
Suddenly, those big blue eyes are looking up at me again.
Begging.
Pleading.
And yes... even a few tears.

These pictures were taken one afternoon after school while the girls were outside playing with their new little friend.



Naturally, that led to...
"We should try that."
So up the tree they went too.

Apparently, this cat has completely consumed our second grader's thoughts because ALL...and I mean all...of her spelling and writing assignments seem to involve a cat.
Her teacher even thinks she owns one.

At this point, maybe Bree knows something I don't.
The problem is, I know absolutely nothing about cats.
Do they scratch the furniture?
Are they easy to take care of?
Do they shed everywhere?
Do they smell?
And who exactly is going to take care of this little thing once the excitement wears off?
Wait.
I know the answer to that last one.
Me.
So here I sit, trying to remain strong while a sweet little rescue cat keeps showing up at my door and an even sweeter little seven year old keeps looking at me with those enormous blue eyes.
I'm starting to think I don't stand a chance.
Any cat people out there?
Help.
Will they scratch up my furniture?
Are they easy to care for?
Is it terrible to DE-claw them?
Do they carry an odor?
Do they shed a lot?
Clearly... the begging, pleading, and crying are causing me to cave. Any opinions would be appreciated before we make our final decision.
Comments
But I'm not really in a position to say anything. We now have THREE dogs, two turtles, and a gecko...all because I couldn't say no to my own little blue eyed beggars (of course, no way could I capture them in pictures as wonderfully as you have yours).
Good luck!