santa letter

Writing Santa letters has been a Christmas tradition for as long as I can remember. Over time I've watched what used to be five little believers dwindle down to only two and I question rather the two remaining are true believers. I've been asked a few times this year "Is Santa Claus real?" I avoid this question at all costs!

Why, you might ask? You could even be thinking....hello lady, get with it. If your child is old enough to come to you and ask if Santa is real, he/she is probably old enough to hear the honest truth. RIGHT? uhhh WRONG!

Let me explain: When I was six years old I remember being told by the "OLDER" kids at school that Santa wasn't real. I marched home and demanded an explanation. I vividly remember exactly how my parents told me... "The TRUTH." And I also remember how betrayed I felt that my parents had lied to me for years!

I decided right then and there that if and when I ever had children of my own, I would NEVER lie to them.

And then... one day my four year old son came to me and said, "Mom, I don't believe reindeer fly!" I panicked.

You see, B.T.C. was at work and I was left ALONE to answer questions (not good). My four year old continued, "Mom, Is Santa Claus really real?"

I didn't want my child to ever view me as a LIAR. I wasn't "prepared" to answer the question just yet so I did what anyone in that situation would do and avoided the question. This didn't work. The little guy was persistent and kept asking so I said, "Well, what do you think?" to which he replied, "I don't think he's real. So I said, "Well, you're right!"

I quickly learned that this was the WRONG thing to say! He looked up at me with tears running down his face and angrily said, "You're just like that Sherem in my Book of Mormon (Jacob 7) who teaches people there is no Jesus Christ!"


I stopped dead in my tracks, got down on one knee, looked him straight in the eyes and said, "You're right! I'm so sorry. I will ask for forgiveness just as Sherem did.

YIKES! Who knew the little dude even paid attention during family scripture study!

Sooo wanna know what my reply has always been from that day forward when confronted with the Santa question..."Hmmmm... well...I believe You're daddy would love to discuss this with you!

I know...Not a very nice thing to do to the hubby! But for me... Mums the word.


the wish list...


Comments

Kelly said…
Does it say she want a baby that is alive?? Well you better get working on that one!! :) He, he

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

BACK TO SCHOOL 2012.