The Big World of Kindergarten

Kindergarten is right around the corner.

That means new friends, a new teacher, a backpack just her size... and one last hurdle before she can officially begin.

Those dreaded, mandatory kindergarten shots.

Every child knows exactly what the word "shots" means.

My brave little Brit tried so hard to be tough. She carried that worry with her all day, doing her best to hold back the tears she knew were waiting.

Poor thing.


Of course, our first stop inside the doctor's office was her favorite place...


A mouthful of candy has a funny way of distracting a little girl...for at least a few minutes.

As the appointment drew closer, I could see the nervousness written all over her face.

Then, just as he always seems to do...

Daddy arrived.

He sat beside her as the nurse prepared the shot. Brit wrapped her tiny fingers tightly around one of Daddy's, squeezing it with all her might.

She was determined to be brave.

But the very moment the needle pierced her skin...


Every ounce of toughness she had left came wailing out.

Thankfully, Daddy had planned ahead.

When the appointment was over, he surprised his little girl with a beautiful wooden treasure box filled with little treasures he had picked out just for her.

Just like that, the tears began to disappear.

Our final stop?

Cold Stone.

Because sometimes ice cream really does make everything a little better.



As I watched Brit happily enjoying every bite, I couldn't help but think about what all of this really meant.

Kindergarten.

Another milestone.

Another first.

Another reminder that my little girl is growing up.

I'll admit...

I'm not quite ready to send her off into the big world of kindergarten.

Truthfully, I'd love to keep her all to myself for another year...

Or two.

Or ten.

But whether I'm ready or not, childhood keeps moving forward.

So for now, I'll treasure the little moments...sticky fingers, tear-stained cheeks, surprise treasure boxes, and ice cream smiles...because someday they'll be the memories I'll hold closest to my heart.

Comments

candice said…
OF COURSE you had your camera at the Dr. office! :)

Great pics...she will love to look back on those later.

Such a cutie!!
Anonymous said…
Who in the world takes pix at the doctors office. LOL But it was fun looking at them. We all squirmed a little at the pic of the needle. Ouch! Love you Brit! you are so lucky to have great parents!
Lorri said…
Well...I do Christina. Isn't it a great idea? I love capturing life as it happens.
kelli said…
Lorri I love how you take the time to capture these precious moments of your babies growing up...priceless! Love you Brit!
dustin and amy said…
I know just how you feel! I'm gonna miss my little Brody next year!!!
A little prick of the skin is worth all the attention. Love you Britt

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP