With All Thy Getting...
Get up.
Get the kids ready for school.
Get the menu planned.
Get the laundry done.
Get that workout in.
Get the house.
Get a reliable car.
Get good grades.
Get an enjoyable career.
Get the lawn mowed.
Get the latest TV...iPod...camera...computer.
Get that lesson prepared.
Get that appointment scheduled.
Get some smiles on those kids’ faces.
Are you exhausted yet?
No?
Okay, a few more...
Get that dream vacation on the calendar.
Get the bills paid.
Get that book read.
Get a savings account.
Get a new pair of shoes.
Get those extra pounds off.
Get more money.
Okay, I’m guessing you get the point.
We spend so much of our precious time getting.
Some of it is necessary. Some of it is good. Some of it is simply part of taking care of a family and a home.
But while reading Proverbs the other day, I came across this:
“Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.” —Proverbs 4:7
That last phrase stopped me.
With all thy getting, get understanding.
I think this is one of those verses worthy of one of my little yellow Post-it notes.
It caused me to quietly look at my own life and ask myself: Of all the things I spend my days trying to get, am I making enough time to get the things that matter most?
We are each given the same number of hours in a day. How we choose to use them says a lot about what we value.
So I’ve been reevaluating a few of my priorities and asking myself a different question:
What can I do to know God better and how can I help my children understand the importance of seeking this kind of wisdom too?
My daily “get” list is beginning to look a little more like this...
Get out the Sunday School manual and study.
Get out my scriptures and read.
Get my Relief Society manual and prepare for Sunday.
Get that Ensign article read.
Get on my knees and pray.
Get out and serve someone.
The laundry still needs to be washed. The bills still need to be paid. Appointments still need to be made, and there will always be another something calling for my attention.
But perhaps the lesson for me is simply this:
In all of my getting, don't forget to get understanding.
It seems so simple.
And yet, if I’m not careful, it can quietly slip right by.
Comments