Dawson Turns 12
There are certain birthdays that feel like more than simply turning another year older.
Twelve is one of them.
Dawson, I remember shortly after you were born, that special Sunday when your father took you from my arms, held you in his, and gave you a name and a father's blessing.
Then came your eighth birthday.
I remember watching you come up out of the waters of baptism and feeling so grateful that your dad, a worthy priesthood holder, was able to confirm you a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and give you the gift of the Holy Ghost.
And now, here we are again.
Another birthday.
Another sacred moment.
Another time when your father placed his hands upon your head.
Only this time, he conferred the Aaronic Priesthood upon you and ordained you to the office of a deacon.
Dawson, I hope you always remember this day and understand the importance of what you've been given. I pray that throughout your life you'll follow the example of your father and remain worthy to exercise the priesthood you've received.
I also hope you realize that those sweet little hands of yours will never be quite the same again.
Those are priesthood hands now.
Hands that can prepare and pass the sacrament.
Hands that can reach out to someone who needs help.
Hands that can serve others as you serve the Lord.
What a privilege it has been for me to watch your father use his hands to bless you at so many important moments in your life.
And now I get to watch you use yours to bless the lives of others.
We love you, Dawson, and we're so proud of the young man you're becoming.
Happy 12th Birthday, Son!
Comments