West Is Best

They say, "West is best."

After this trip, I'd have to agree.

We packed up the car and headed west for a few days of sunshine, ocean breezes, and a little adventure.

Our vacation began with one of my favorite things to photograph...

A sunset.

There is something magical about watching the sky slowly transform into shades of orange, pink, and gold.

As a photographer, I'm always learning little tricks along the way. I had recently read that using a longer telephoto lens makes the sun appear much larger in your photographs than using a wide-angle lens. I decided to put that theory to the test, and you'll notice the difference in some of the sunset photos later in this post.

I love learning something new.






This trip also brought something else new.

Mr. B.T.C. surprised us by booking an apartment we'd never stayed in before.

It was right in the heart of Venice Beach.

The moment we stepped outside, we were immediately surrounded by the energy of the famous boardwalk.

It was definitely noisier than we were used to, but before long we found ourselves loving every minute of it.


Venice Beach is unlike any place I've ever visited.

It's part beach...

Part carnival...

Part art show...

And part people-watching paradise.

Every few steps there was something different to see.

Street performers.

Artists.

Musicians.

Bikers.

Rollerbladers.

Weightlifters at Muscle Beach.

And some of the most interesting characters you could imagine.

One gentleman proudly called a rather unique motorhome home.

I'll spare you my attempt at describing it...

Let's just say it had plenty of personality.

Then there was the "Tree Man."

For one dollar he'd happily pose for a picture.

I decided to save my dollar and photograph him from behind an actual tree instead.

Sometimes photographers can be just as sneaky as the people they're photographing.

One of my favorite performers was a dancer dressed in flowing, colorful fabric.

She moved so gracefully that I couldn't resist slowing my shutter speed to capture the movement.

The result felt more like a piece of art than a photograph.

Of course, there were plenty of adorable sights too.

One tiny little performer seemed to win over everyone who walked by.

I have a feeling he probably earned more tips than anyone else on the boardwalk.

The kids each received a little spending money to buy a souvenir.

Choosing just one proved to be the hardest part.



Britley was convinced she needed just about everything she saw.

After much deliberation...


She settled on a tiny turtle she proudly named Murtle.

I'd say that was money well spent.

There was also a beautiful blue parrot that its owner encouraged us to pose with.

Apparently we were supposed to press our noses right up to its beak.

After an unfortunate experience with a different parrot in Laguna Beach, Dawson and I politely declined.

Wesley, however, was much braver.

Thankfully, this parrot turned out to be much friendlier.

One of my favorite family activities was renting bicycles and riding along the Venice Beach and Santa Monica boardwalk.

The ocean on one side.

People everywhere.

The salty breeze.

It doesn't get much better than that.


As evening approached, we found ourselves back on the beach to watch another spectacular sunset.

This time, there wasn't a building in sight.

Just the ocean stretching to the horizon.

Golden light poured across the sand as the kids played in the waves.

Some cautiously tested the water.

Others chased each wave without hesitation.

The girls laughed together, reminding me how grateful I am for the special friendship they share.

I hope that bond stays with them throughout their lives.





















As the sun disappeared below the horizon, I turned around just in time to capture Nathan and Wesley still playing in the water, silhouetted against the evening sky.

It was the perfect ending to another unforgettable day.


Thank you, Mr. B.T.C., for planning another wonderful adventure.

It was a trip full of sunshine, laughter, unforgettable sunsets...

And plenty of reminders that sometimes the best vacations are simply the ones spent together.

Comments

Clint Andersen said…
Awesome pics, Lorri and loved the commentary. (the tree shot biff cracked me up)
Carroll Family said…
I absolutely LOVE beach pictures - and you can really capture them! I really loved the two pictures of the girls - really cool.
Kelly said…
I think you guys need to move there! Cause you are always there!! I wish we could live by the ocean!! I love it in Cali!! And I love all your pics!! Your kids are growing so fast!!!
kelli said…
Oh Lorri... wish, wish we could have went!!! Your pictures are beautiful and I MISS YOUR FAMILY sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!
Whitny said…
I loved the pics of the dancing lady. Such beautiful colors. Great vacation. Great pics.
chrisy said…
Love your pictures!!! We are planning a trip to Oceanside Cal. the middle of Oct....maybe we should rethink it and check out this beach.

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP