Jesus Loves Me.

If you've been reading along for a while, you probably remember my adventures with Wikki Stix.

Those colorful little wax-coated strands have found their way into just about every corner of our house.

They're wonderful for creating artwork.

They're reusable.

They're mostly mess-free.

But lately...

They've discovered a brand-new purpose.

Decorating bedroom doors.

Apparently, my children have decided their doors make the perfect art gallery for anyone walking down the hallway.

Flowers.

Basketball hoops.

Animals.

Even a little dirt bike that somehow managed to stick right to the door.

Who knew those little wax strings were strong enough to hold toys?

I'll admit...

I wasn't exactly thrilled.

Until today.



As I walked past my little girls' bedroom, something caught my eye.

Clinging to the door with Wikki Stix was a simple necklace she'd received in Primary...

Along with a small picture of the Savior she had carefully clipped from the sacrament program.

I stopped.

And smiled.

Immediately I was taken back to Sunday afternoon.

I remembered the excitement on her face as she proudly showed me the necklace on our drive home from church.

Her smile stretched from ear to ear.

Standing there in the hallway, I found myself thinking about what her Primary teacher must have taught that day.

I didn't need to ask.

The little display on her bedroom door told the story.

It was a quiet reminder that she knew something very important.

Jesus loves her.

In that moment, another thought came to my mind.

Years ago I read these words from President Gordon B. Hinckley:

"You have not failed as long as you have tried."

As parents, we spend countless hours trying to teach our children what matters most.

Sometimes we wonder if they're listening.

Sometimes we wonder if anything we're saying is really sinking in.

Then, every once in a while, the Lord gives us a small glimpse into their hearts.

A picture taped to a bedroom door.

A song quietly sung around the house.

A simple testimony spoken without prompting.

Those little moments remind us that the seeds are growing.

I'm so grateful that Mr. B.T.C. and I aren't the only ones helping teach our children the gospel.

They are surrounded by wonderful Primary teachers, leaders, and faithful members of our ward who lovingly reinforce the same truths we hope they'll carry with them throughout their lives.

Their influence matters.

More than they may ever realize.

So to every Primary teacher who gives of their time, prepares lessons, prays for inspiration, sings songs, listens patiently, and loves these little children...

Thank you.

You are helping shape testimonies.

You are helping children come to know the Savior.

And you are making an eternal difference.

I'll close with the full thought from President Gordon B. Hinckley that came to my mind that day:

"Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them... Fathers, control your tempers... Mothers, control your voices, keep them down. Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord... They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried. Never forget that."

That little display of Wikki Stix on a bedroom door reminded me of something I'll never forget.

Sometimes the greatest masterpieces our children create aren't made with wax strings at all...

They're the quiet testimonies taking shape in their hearts.

Comments

Kristen said…
I wish I would have read this 5 minutes earlier! Thanks Lorri for you words as always!!:)
dustin and amy said…
I remember this talk and I loved it! Thanks for the reminder, with a husband out of town for 7 days I needed to hear this. Thank You!
Jer said…
Love that quote! Thanks.
The.A.Blog said…
Hi!
Check out my new blog I am starting!
Add me if you'd like, and tell your friends!
Anonymous said…
That was great Lori. Thanks for sharing!
CoCo said…
Oh Lorri! How touching!! I love it.

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP