California Memories

There's something about the beach that I love.

Maybe it's the sound of the waves.

Maybe it's escaping the Arizona heat.

Or maybe it's simply being together without the distractions of everyday life.

Whatever it is, we never seem to get enough of it.

This trip was especially memorable because some of the biggest waves in years rolled into the Orange County coastline while we were there. Some reached nearly fifteen feet, and with high surf and dangerous rip currents, the lifeguards stayed busy keeping everyone safe.

We admired the waves from a distance for most of the weekend.

At least... I did.

The boys, on the other hand, became a little more adventurous as the days went on. As their confidence grew, so did the number of reminders from the lifeguards to stay out of the dangerous surf.

Thankfully, by late Saturday afternoon, the tide settled down just enough for everyone to enjoy the water a little more.

The rest of our vacation was everything a beach getaway should be.

Relaxing in the sand.

Watching the kids play in the ocean.

Walking through the little shops and art galleries.

Eating delicious food without worrying about calories.

Browsing the candy store that somehow becomes a tradition every time we visit.

Meeting interesting people... including our favorite local, Bobby—better known as "The Parrot Guy."

And simply enjoying being together.

One of my favorite memories happened when I was standing safely on the shore, refusing to go anywhere near those enormous waves.

I was perfectly content watching everyone else from dry land.

Apparently, my husband had other plans.

Before I knew what was happening, he scooped me up onto his shoulders and marched straight toward the ocean.

I kicked.

I screamed.

I protested.

He laughed.

Guess who won?

(He usually does.)

One of the highlights of the trip was celebrating two very special birthdays.

Dawson turned eleven, and my nephew Reilly turned eight.

Sharing the same birthday made celebrating together even more special, and I can't think of a better place to spend a birthday than with family on the beach.

As always, the kids found treasures in the sand.

Everyone picked out new hats.

Dessert somehow tasted even better by the ocean.

And every sunset reminded us to slow down and soak in one more moment together.

Before long, it was time to pack the car, take one last look from the balcony, and head home.

Vacations always come to an end.

But thankfully...

The memories don't.

Until next time, California.


This photo sums up our experience.
Settling in.
My sister and her family join us.





















Here's the birthday boys!
Happy 11th Dawson and Happy 8th Reilly.




















Some liked the parrots more than others.












My favorite!




We head back to play on the beach when the low tide returned .





























Comments

Kelly said…
Looks like a fun Vaca! My fav beach is in Laguna.. Crescent Bay.. Did you go there? I love the houses surrounding the little pathway down to the hidden treasure! And nothing beats walkign around laguna. Now you are back in this HOT HEAT.. We are Hot Mama's 4 sure! :)
Michelle said…
Looks like you guys had an awesome getaway! Love the pics!
Anonymous said…
Oh man! That's my stomping grounds! I miss those beaches being so far away. You guys look like you took advantage of the time out of water eating all that yummy food and hitting the street vendors and sidewalk stores. Laguna Beach is so much fun. Hope you made it to Crescent Bay.

And those toes! the sunflower is just darling! how did they do that?
kelli said…
love the pictures...sure miss you guys!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP