The Last of My beginning Readers

As I sat beside Brit today and listened to her read, memories came flooding back.

I couldn't help but think of walking through this very same process with each of my other four children.

Every one of them learned differently. Some caught on quickly, while for others the process was a little more challenging. I remember the look of frustration that would appear as they tried to decode those unfamiliar letters and blend together sounds that didn't quite make sense yet.

Then came the reward.

I'd watch their little faces light up as they finally figured out the word, and I'd hear the excitement in their voices as they proudly blurted it out.

Reading time became both humorous and entertaining as they discovered punctuation. I loved watching them grasp the meaning of an exclamation point and hearing their voices suddenly become animated with excitement.

Today, as Brit read aloud, I watched all those familiar expressions come to life once again. It was now her turn to learn how to put those phonograms to use.

As I listened, it suddenly struck me...

This is the last time.

Brit is the last of my five children to become a beginning reader.

I found myself listening more carefully than ever before, soaking in every word, every pause, every little expression. I wanted to freeze time, knowing this sweet season would soon be gone forever.

I know how easy it is to get swept back into the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

But today, I chose something different.

Today, I stopped.

I listened.

I photographed.

And I quietly treasured one of the last "firsts" of motherhood.

Comments

kelli said…
Little Miss BRIT I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU!!!
Kelly said…
She is so DARLING! Thanks for reminding us all to slow it down and enjoy this precious moments with our kids! We only have them once, and soon they will be all grown up! sad :(
candice said…
I find myself doing this more and more these days. Just soaking in every word, expression, and hug from Abbey...it's not an easy thing to accept that you are done having kids, and these are the last times they may be doing things.

I loved this post. :) Great pictures too.
chrisy said…
That is so adorable! Leave it to you to capture that priceless moment of Brit learning to read. Thanks for sharing....I LOVE IT!!
Lori said…
Hey, Lorri! These pictures are so sweet. I am heading off to the bookstore to grab that book you mentioned yesterday. I was looking at the Pioneer Woman site. AWESOME and I love that it is written in an "easy to read and understand" way. Do you ever use your flash in your photos? By the way, I need to get your email. If you get a chance text it to me. Thanks, Lorri! Talk to you soon.
Anonymous said…
http://andreaburnsphotography.blogspot.com/2009/02/wedding-album.html#comments

I've watched this blog for some time now. She was a digital scrapbook designer as well as a professional photographer. I thought I would share her website with you the last idea she posted was amazing. She made a photobook for a client that she took wedding pix for. Go check it out. Love ya!