I Cleaned the House Today... I Wish You Could Have Seen It
It must be Monday.
I...
Read scriptures.
Made breakfast smoothies.
Mopped up breakfast smoothies.
Kissed four kids goodbye and sent them off to school.
Worked out.
Washed dishes.
Swept floors (twice).
Cleaned up the family room (still recovering from Super Bowl Sunday).
Organized the pantry.
Washed seven loads of laundry (and somehow found clean clothes mixed in with the dirty ones—ugh!).
Tidied six bedrooms.
Vacuumed ten rooms and two rugs.
Arranged a play date.
Planned dinner for a sick neighbor.
Went grocery shopping.
Picked up kids from school.
Painted two sets of fingernails and toenails (nope, not mine).
Drove three kids to gymnastics.
Performed "Pixie" surgery and gave a stuffed animal some much-needed stitches.
Bathed two children.
Threatened three boys that showers really were not optional.
Met with the PC repairman.
Made dinner.
Listened to four children practice piano.
Gave one spelling test.
Taught one child how to count change.
Pleaded with one child to study spelling words (with very little success).
Reviewed The Family: A Proclamation to the World together.
Taught Family Home Evening.
Kissed five foreheads and one set of lips.
Read a bedtime story.
Updated the blog.
Made breakfast smoothies.
Mopped up breakfast smoothies.
Kissed four kids goodbye and sent them off to school.
Worked out.
Washed dishes.
Swept floors (twice).
Cleaned up the family room (still recovering from Super Bowl Sunday).
Organized the pantry.
Washed seven loads of laundry (and somehow found clean clothes mixed in with the dirty ones—ugh!).
Tidied six bedrooms.
Vacuumed ten rooms and two rugs.
Arranged a play date.
Planned dinner for a sick neighbor.
Went grocery shopping.
Picked up kids from school.
Painted two sets of fingernails and toenails (nope, not mine).
Drove three kids to gymnastics.
Performed "Pixie" surgery and gave a stuffed animal some much-needed stitches.
Bathed two children.
Threatened three boys that showers really were not optional.
Met with the PC repairman.
Made dinner.
Listened to four children practice piano.
Gave one spelling test.
Taught one child how to count change.
Pleaded with one child to study spelling words (with very little success).
Reviewed The Family: A Proclamation to the World together.
Taught Family Home Evening.
Kissed five foreheads and one set of lips.
Read a bedtime story.
Updated the blog.
And then...
Mr. B.T.C. walked through the door and asked the familiar question:
"How was your day?"
My response?
"Ahhh... ya know. Just the norm."
Of course, in my head I was thinking:
"Housework, if done right, can kill you."
But instead, I casually added:
"Oh, by the way honey... I cleaned the house today. I wish you could have seen it."
Because isn't that the funny thing about motherhood?
You can spend an entire day making your home run, caring for everyone you love, and creating a million little moments...
And somehow, by the time everyone comes home, it looks like you never lifted a finger.
But I know.
And maybe someday they'll know too.
The ordinary days are often the ones filled with the most love.
Comments
That's a lot of nothing!