A Scripture Marking System That Changed My Scripture Study
Back in February 2004, I was reading an article in the Ensign by Marianne Olson. She introduced a simple color-coding system for marking scriptures, one that was easy enough for children to understand, yet meaningful enough for adults. Her system was beautifully simple:
🔴 Red — Like a stop sign, this color reminds us what we should not do.
🟢 Green — A signal to "go," green highlights what we should do.
🟡 Yellow — Slow down. Pay attention. Reference to Godhead.
As I began using this system, something unexpected happened. The pages of my scriptures seemed to come alive. Verses I had read countless times suddenly stood out with fresh meaning. Instead of simply reading the words, I found myself noticing patterns, promises, warnings, and invitations that I had overlooked before. It felt as though I was reading familiar passages for the very first time.
Over the years, I've personalized the system by adding a few more colors that have become meaningful in my own study:
🔵 Blue — Blue marks the blessings the Lord promises when we are obedient.
🤎 Brown — Prayer, communication with Heavenly Father, and seeking His guidance.
🩷 Pink — The Atonement of Jesus Christ, His mercy, grace, and redeeming power.
Of course, there is no "right" way to mark your scriptures. This is simply a tool that has helped me become a more intentional reader and has made my study more meaningful.
As we sincerely desire to learn, the Holy Ghost teaches us according to our individual needs. My hope is that whether you use this system, create one of your own, or simply open your scriptures with a willing heart, you'll discover what I have—that the scriptures are living, powerful, and capable of speaking to us in deeply personal ways.
"For behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." (2 Nephi 32:3)
Comments