Future Builders of Tomorrow
There is something about school breaks that brings my boys to life.
The moment vacation begins, it's as if an invisible signal goes out to every neighborhood boy within a two-mile radius. Before long, they're all gathered together, pooling their imaginations and dreaming up the next great adventure.
This time, it all started with an empty dirt lot across the street and a pile of trash from a nearby construction site. To most adults, it looked like junk. To a group of boys? It looked like unlimited possibilities.
Then came the tools.
They seem to radiate happiness as they walk away from their father's tool box (which is supposed to be off limits). They clearly have a vision of the project they are about to engage in.
From the front window, I watched as they worked with complete determination. Every now and then I'd peer out the window to make sure they weren't getting into any mischief.
Hours passed.
They became dirtier... sweatier... and noticeably more exhausted. But not once did they lose their enthusiasm. They were completely absorbed in the project before them.
Watching them reminded me of something I admire about children. They aren't thinking about yesterday or worrying about tomorrow. They're completely invested in today.
Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we all did a little more of that?
On my final trip to the window, I stopped in my tracks.
There it was.
Of all the things they could have built, I should have known exactly what it would be...
A fort.
Every young boys handmade miracle, and this one was no exception. It was their masterpiece. They stood back, exhausted, dirty, proud, and completely satisfied with what they had created together.
I figured the thrill might be short-lived, so I hurried outside to snap a few pictures before the neighbor dude (there's always one in every neighborhood, isn't there?) made them tear it down.


Seeing their fort reminded me of another one of their entrepreneurial adventures.
One afternoon, the boys came up with another one of their money making ideas.
They hauled an old chair to the house, hitched it to the back of one of their bikes, and proudly attached a handwritten sign that read:
"$1 a Ride!"

I love watching their creativity, teamwork, and confidence grow with every new adventure. One day they'll build homes, businesses, inventions, and communities. For now, they're simply building forts......and memories that will last a lifetime.
Comments