Swift to Hear


Often I write a quote or scripture on our kitchen chalkboard.

This one currently holds the record for the longest ever kept.

I’m pretty sure the kids are ready for a new one.

I’m not.

Here’s why.

I’m hopeful that every time this scripture is read...

(I can feel my mind wandering off for a moment.)

...a sudden miraculous change will sweep over each child, causing such a mighty change of heart that they will NEVER feel wrath again.

Snap out of it!

Okay, I’m back.

What I really hope is that each child will, in some way, value what they’ve read. And if not now, maybe the words will settle into some little holding zone deep in their brains and surface someday when they need them.

“Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.” —James 1:19

When I first read this scripture, it had great value to me, so I’ve been trying to apply it.

I’ve been listening more and speaking less.

It has changed things.

I’ve also started noticing how often we humans do just the opposite. We’re swift to speak and slow to hear. A little spiritual dyslexia, perhaps?

Sometimes we’re so anxious to tell our own story that we don’t really hear the one being told to us.

And apparently, the kids are beginning to notice too.

One of my sons was recently riding in a car with another couple. He overheard the husband say to his wife, “Man, my back is really hurting today.”

His wife responded by telling him about all the things that were hurting her.

My son was surprised that she never really acknowledged what her husband had said. Instead, she immediately brought herself into the conversation.

(No judgment here. I’m quite certain I’ve done the same thing plenty of times.)

But the fact that he noticed made me smile.

Then there was dinner.

Bree started telling me about her day when one of her brothers interrupted and began telling me about his.

Bree quietly let him finish.

She seems to have mastered the swift to hear part.

Another brother at the table, however, immediately called him out:

“Hey, why’d you have to bring yourself into the conversation? Dude, you just cut her off.”

Between you and me, those two brothers may still be working on the slow to wrath portion of the scripture.

But there it was.

They were noticing.

One little scripture, written in chalk in our kitchen, had somehow found its way into our conversations.

I think maybe it can come off the board now.

It appears to be sinking in.


Comments

dustin and amy said…
I love your quote board, I might have to start one myself. Thanks for sharing.
chrisy said…
I love that idea too. You are such a good example. Thanks for takeing the time to inspire and share with the rest of us.
Kelly said…
I love that chalkboard! Were did you get it? Please share!
And it is so true! I know I have been guilty of not listening and cutting my husband off. We do need to slow down and listen. I love this scripture. Thank you Lori for another inspiring post!
Anonymous said…
I'm Kelli's long lost friend from the west side-lol! I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am that you posted this. I'm putting this scripture up and will start applying it with my family. It is SO easy to always inerject your thoughts and feelings and definitely harder to sit back and listen. Thanks so much!
Adrienne
Lorri said…
Kelly...The chalkboard is just a cabinet door turned sideway. It's painted black and slightly distressed. You can turn it into a chalkboard with a little chalkboard paint. Glue on a cute flower and there you have it.
Kelly said…
SO crafty! I thought that's what it was.. Now I just need to find a cabinet door. ? Any suggestions?
Lorri said…
maybe sean warner would know???
kelli said…
SUCH AN EXAMPLE!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP