No Problem... Let's Do It!

Nathan's 2010 science project came with a fairly simple assignment:

Create a simple machine that completes a task.

Easy enough.

Until Nathan brought me a piece of paper with his idea sketched out on it.

I looked it over and thought...

Yeah, right?!?

But being the supportive mother that I am, I smiled and said,

"Great idea!"

Then he showed the exact same drawing to his dad.

B.T.C. took one look at it and said,

"No problem... let's do it!"

And this is one of those moments when I thank my lucky stars I'm not a single parent.

Because where I saw something that looked WAY beyond my abilities, Dad apparently saw a perfectly reasonable Saturday project.

So the two of them went to work.

Measuring.

Cutting.

Building.

And turning that little sketch on a piece of paper into an actual working machine.

The completed product?

A CAN CRUSHER.



Before...

One perfectly normal can

After...

One very flattened can.

And apparently, Nathan and Dad knew exactly what they were doing because that crazy idea I had silently questioned ended up taking...

1ST PLACE 2010 Science Project!

So much for Yeah, right?!?

Way to go, Nathan!

And thank goodness for a dad whose response to a kid with a big idea is simply...

"No problem... let's do it."

Comments

Whitny said…
wow. I am impressed. What a great way to get a kid sparked about life.
Kelly said…
Nice to have a dad that is good with welding! :) Such a smart boy you have! :)
Unknown said…
Good job, Nathan (and Brandon!)!
Carroll Family said…
I heard he won first - it was really good!!!
CoCo said…
excellent!! i have to show this to bill and kerry> they will love it ;)
chrisy said…
Way 2 go Nate!!! I love it!!!
I have a list of science projects that my Dad Friend noted from his son's 6th grade science fair in DC. They are great, cheap and easy. Plus I added more ideas I found on the web for same: cheap, easy and great.

at http://PragmaticMom.com

Pragmatic Mom
Type A Parenting for the Modern World
&D designs said…
This is amazing Lori - does Branden have this kind of tools in his shop? I wish there was a class my boys could take how to make things like this - your boys are lucky that they have a Dad that knows how to do this! - Andi

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP