Could I Be So Stupid? I Guess So.

WOW!

You guys were incredibly kind after reading my last post about our home being burglarized.

Of course, most of you are friends and family...

So maybe you were just being nice.

Our story was picked up by the local news (http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story/Burglars-pose-as-home-buyers-steal-30-000-worth/0t7Am63x50yGPhY8uk3-pA.cspx)aired last night. It was also posted online, where complete strangers were given the opportunity to comment.

Let's just say...

They weren't quite as gentle.

Apparently, according to some of them, I may be one of the stupidest people alive.

Who knew?

I'll admit, some of the comments stung.

It's interesting how easy it is to look at someone else's unfortunate experience after the fact and see everything they shouldhave done differently.

And believe me...

I can see it now too.

Should we have verified the agent?

Yep.

Should we have secured our valuables somewhere other than inside our home?

Yep.

Should we have been more cautious about allowing strangers into our house simply because there was a FOR SALE sign out front?

Absolutely.

Could I go back and do things differently?

Boy, would I ever.

But that's the funny thing about hindsight.

It gives you information you didn't have when you were making the decision.

At the time, nothing about the phone call seemed particularly alarming. Our house was for sale. Real estate agents showed it. Someone called wanting to show it.

We said yes.

And unfortunately, someone took advantage of that trust.

So...

Could I be so stupid?

I guess so.

But I'm also a little wiser today than I was yesterday.

And if telling our embarrassing story causes even one person who's selling a home to stop and verify who's coming through their door...

Then I'm willing to look a little stupid.

Lesson learned.

The hard way.

And to those of you who responded with kindness rather than judgment...

Thank you.

I think the world could use a few more people who remember that it's awfully easy to see the right answer once you already know how the story ends.



Comments

Castle Family said…
I can't believe how rude people can be. Sorry you had to read those. I'm sorry I did!! Rude rude rude.
Tracey said…
Wow... we live in a sick world don't we??? That is so disturbing. I read a few comments and could not even continue. I am sorry you had to read those comments from such heartless people! UGH!!
Kelly said…
Wow!! People are CRAZY! And those that judge will have there urn someday!!
Lori said…
Oh my..... what awful comments. I don't understand why some people find it necessary to say such ugly and hurtful things.
kelli said…
Don't worry...Spence and I left some GOOD comments!
mbunker said…
Oh man... I can't believe how horrible people can be. Sorry to hear about your home. I think you guys handled it with grace and compassion...

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP