Beauty in the Small Things

Recently, I watched a video by Stephanie Nielson that left a lasting impression on me.

Her perspective changed mine.

Since then, I've found myself embracing motherhood a little more fully and appreciating the countless ordinary moments that fill each day.

Somehow, life has seemed to slow down.

I've tried to be more present while holding my children a little longer...

Bathing little ones...

Packing lunches...

Washing sticky faces...

And doing all those small, repetitive tasks that can so easily feel ordinary.

This morning was a perfect example.

As I pulled into the school drop-off line, I handed out the usual hugs, kisses, reminders to "Do your best," and one last wave goodbye.

Just before Wesley climbed out of the car, my little soccer star—the one proudly wearing #2—leaned back in and said,

"Mom, can you please wash my soccer socks, dry them, and bring them to the school office by 11:00? I need them for tonight's championship game!"

Before I could even answer, another voice came from the very back seat.

"Oh no, Mom! I forgot! I was supposed to bring an empty Pringles can for science today! Could you get one to me before second hour?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

There went my plans.

That 9:45 gym class suddenly didn't seem quite so important anymore.

Instead, my morning would be spent washing soccer socks...

Stopping at the grocery store...

Buying a can of Pringles...

Delivering both to school...

And somehow fitting everything else in between.

Not long ago, I might have sighed out of frustration.

But this time...

I smiled.

Because I realized there wasn't anywhere else I would rather be.

These little interruptions aren't interruptions at all.

They're opportunities to serve the people who matter most.

One day, there won't be forgotten science projects.

There won't be championship soccer games that depend on clean socks.

There won't be lunches to pack or backpacks to check one last time.

These busy little moments that sometimes feel repetitive are actually the moments that make up motherhood.

So today, I'm grateful.

Grateful that I was able to wash the socks.

Grateful that I could run to the store for a Pringles can.

Grateful that my children know they can call on Mom when they need a little help.

Thank you, Stephanie Nielson, for reminding me to see the beauty in the small things.

The beauty isn't found in accomplishing something extraordinary.

Sometimes it's simply found in doing this...

Then that...

Then the next thing...

And waking up tomorrow to lovingly do it all over again.

Comments

Clint Andersen said…
Beautifully written, Lorri! Keep living in that moment.
Alli Hunter said…
Lorri, I know Stephanie. Her older sister was one of my best friends in High School, her name is Courtney Clark Kendirck, she also has a blog that is very popular, it's cjanerun.com. They are the most amazing family I've ever known. My heart breaks for Stephanie, but she inspires me daily, she's amazing. Her blog is nieniedialogues.blogspot.com in case you don't already have it. :)
kelli said…
This came to mind as I read your post...

Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of Him.
-Emerson
Kelly said…
Oh my! I tivoed that episode! I read nienie, and I was in tears during Oprah.. It was so amazing watching what she goes through, and how she choose the HARD way.. Like we all did before we came to this life! And the way her husband looks at her, is so beutifull. He LOVES her so much. It really makes you look at your life, and helps us improve were we need too. Love this post.

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP