Little Surprises
We had recently found a new home for our boxer, so I think little Britley decided it was time to start looking for a new pet of her own.
She proudly came to me, absolutely squirming with delight, holding her newest little friend...
A fly.
She had even given it a name: FLYDO.
When I heard her talking to it, I quietly grabbed my camera to capture the moment. Then I heard her sweetly singing to her new pet,
"I'm sorry I pulled off your wings... I just didn't want you to fly away."
Oh, my heart.
A few days later she came to me with another question.
"Mom, why are flies scared of you?"
Trying not to laugh, I replied,
"Hmm... I don't know. Maybe because you pull their wings off! I'd be scared of you too!"
Then I gently explained that flies spread germs and diseases and are much better off flying around outside than becoming pets.
Not long after that came another one of Britley's wonderful questions.
"Mom, why do mosquitoes poke you with their nose?"
I have to admit, I like her explanation much better. It sounds a lot less painful than the truth! I explained that it's actually a long mouthpart that pierces the skin—not a little nose.
Life with Britley is never boring.
You never know what she'll discover, what she'll ask, or what little creature she'll decide needs rescuing next.
Thankfully, most of her surprises fit in the palm of her hand... and make for some of my favorite memories.
Because sometimes it's the smallest surprises that leave the biggest smiles.
Comments