Not Quite a Chaperone

Did anyone else want to throw the covers back over their head when waking up this morning?

I did.

Spring Break went WAY too fast this year.

I let our once rigid routine fade into a distant memory for a while, and it was nice. We stayed up way too late eating popcorn and watching movies. We traded homework for long bike rides and walks along the beach.

But I suppose it's time to get back to the ol' routine.

Darn it!

Before the kids left for break, Britley's first-grade class had a field trip to the zoo.

Britley begged me to volunteer as one of the chaperones.

I looked into those pleading little eyes and actually considered it...

Then I came to my senses.

I've tried the whole field trip bus thing with her older siblings. Somehow I always end up with a pounding headache from what feels like an eternal bus ride home surrounded by a kid...or two or three or four...with very high-pitched, l-o-u-d voices.

I know.

I'm pathetic.

So we compromised.

I told Britley I'd meet her at the zoo and tag along with her class.

She happily agreed.

I invited my four year old nephew, Isaac, to come along. And I have one more confession...

I let Breeley skip school and come too.

But only because she's the biggest animal lover in the family, so really, how could I leave her behind?

Once we arrived, we set out to find Brit's class. I spotted my little blondie right away.

I loved standing back and watching her interact with her friends.


Then it was off to see the animals.

The squirrel monkeys were a favorite to photograph. Those little guys have SO much personality.

They also spotted Bree's sack lunch immediately.

One little dude seemed to spread the word because before long, his buddies started gathering around Breeley...a little too close for comfort.

A zookeeper finally had us put her lunch in a locker.

Bree wasn't the least bit bothered.

She loved it.

Some of the animals were...

Well...

very strange looking.





The giraffes have always been one of our favorites.

But the orangutans are probably at the top of my list. I came geared up and ready to photograph them, only to discover their exhibit was closed because of construction.

Darn it.

So I'm including a favorite orangutan picture from our last zoo trip instead.

And yes, I photographed a turtle at the zoo.

I couldn't resist the reflection.

Then there was this guy...

Massive and a little scary...especially when he's looking right at you.

Beautiful creature, though.


Britley took one look at another animal and announced:

"Looking at this makes you have an eye illusion."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I tried to convince Isaac to take one of the rides.

Nope.

He did, however, agree to another.

But I'm pretty sure Isaac's favorite part of the entire zoo experience was...

the gift shop.

No joke.

We couldn't get him to leave.

We actually had to separate from Britley's class because they weren't allowed to go inside.

And after looking at ALL those toys, he finally settled on the one thing he wanted most.



Meanwhile, Breeley, our stuffed animal queen, was in heaven.

And then there were a few pictures...

just because.



One of my favorite parts of the day was having Bree there with us. She insisted on having her own zoo map and appointed herself our official guide.

She took her job very seriously.

And she did great.

As for me?

I got the field trip, the kids, the animals, the pictures...

and skipped the bus ride home.

I'd say my little chaperone compromise worked out quite nicely.



Comments

Carroll Family said…
I have a similar anxiety....Kelcie wanted me to go sooooo bad......but, I had something else. How did you do those last pictures??? I've never seen anything like that before. You take such beautiful pictures!
kelli said…
GREAT PICS AND THX FOR TAKING LITTLE ISAAC!

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

A Word of Caution