Is Santa Claus Really Real?

Writing letters to Santa has been a Christmas tradition in our home for as long as I can remember.

Over the years, I've watched what used to be five little believers slowly dwindle down to only two...

And lately, I'm beginning to question whether those remaining two are really true believers themselves.

I've already been asked a few times this year:

"Mom, is Santa Claus real?"

I avoid this question at ALL costs.

You might be thinking...

Hello, lady. If they're old enough to ask, they're probably old enough to hear the truth.

RIGHT?

Uhhh...

WRONG!

Let me explain.

When I was about six years old, some of the "OLDER" kids at school informed me that Santa wasn't real.

Naturally, I marched straight home and demanded an explanation from my parents.

I vividly remember them telling me...

THE TRUTH.

And I remember feeling completely betrayed.

My parents had been lying to me!

At least, that's how my six-year-old mind interpreted it.

I decided right then and there that if I ever had children of my own, I would NEVER lie to them.

Fast-forward several years...

One day, my four-year-old son came to me and announced,

"Mom, I don't believe reindeer fly."

I panicked.

You see, B.T.C. was at work, which meant I had been left ALONE to handle this situation.

Not good.

Then came the question I wasn't prepared for:

"Mom, is Santa Claus really real?"

I couldn't lie.

But I wasn't ready to tell him either.

So I tried that clever parenting trick where you answer a question with another question.

"Well... what do YOU think?"

He thought about it and said,

"I don't think he's real."

So I took a deep breath and answered,

"Well... you're right."

BIG mistake.

His little eyes immediately filled with tears.

Then, with tears streaming down his face, he looked at me and angrily declared:

"You're just like that Sherem in my Book of Mormon who teaches people there is no Jesus Christ!"

I stopped dead in my tracks.

Sherem?!

JACOB 7 SHEREM?!

Apparently, someone had been paying much closer attention during family scripture study than I'd realized.

I immediately got down on one knee, looked him straight in the eyes and said,

"You're right. I'm so sorry. I'll ask for forgiveness just like Sherem did."

YIKES.

Who knew discussing Santa Claus could turn into a Book of Mormon crisis?

Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

From that day forward, whenever one of our children has asked,

"Mom... is Santa Claus really real?"

I've had the perfect response:

"Hmmmm... well... I believe your daddy would LOVE to discuss that with you."

I know.

Not particularly nice of me to do to the hubby.

But when it comes to Santa...

Mum's the word.

And judging by this year's wish list, I'm thinking there may still be a little believing going on around here after all.






Comments

Kelly said…
Does it say she want a baby that is alive?? Well you better get working on that one!! :) He, he

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

A Word of Caution