First Day of School

Phew...

What a morning!

I know summer is officially over when the alarm starts ringing at 6:00 a.m.

Back to the old routine.

Lunches to pack.

Backpacks to fill.

Shoes to find.

Hair to fix.

And somehow getting everyone out the door on time.

In the middle of all the morning chaos, I still managed to snap a few pictures before the kids left.

Okay...

Maybe more than a few.

And yes...

The camera may have followed them all the way to school.

Some moments are simply too important not to capture.


Our youngest was all smiles as she headed off for her very first day of kindergarten.

She wore her new title proudly.

Kindergartener.

She couldn't wait to get there.

Our sweet second grader was just as excited to see her friends again.

She's kind, thoughtful, and such a joy to be around.

Her teacher is one lucky person.

Dawson headed off to fifth grade.

He's always been the life of the party.

In fact, I usually get to visit with his teacher on a fairly regular basis.

Here's hoping this is the year he decides to stay out of trouble.

(One can dream.)

Wesley began seventh grade and officially entered junior high.

He's the kind of kid everyone enjoys being around.

Hardworking, self-motivated, and dependable.

I have no doubt he's going to have another great year.

Nathan started eighth grade—his final year of junior high.

He's a natural leader, and despite all the challenges that come with growing up, I trust him.

I know he'll continue making good choices and setting a great example for those around him.

Of course, I couldn't let the first day pass without taking pictures at school.

Was it a little embarrassing?

Probably.

Did I care?

Not even a little.

Two out of the five actually cooperated.

I'd call that a success.


One sweet little girl tried so hard, but the bright morning sun had other plans.

She just couldn't keep her eyes open.

Closed eyes are definitely better than an awkward squint...

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

As I watched the younger children cling to their parents with tears streaming down their faces, I couldn't help but smile.

My girls barely noticed I was there.

After one quick glance toward the camera, they were off to the playground without a care in the world.

Oh, to be that carefree again.


One of the sweetest surprises of the morning came when their daddy showed up to walk them to class.

The smiles on their faces said it all.

Now the house is quiet.

I've waited thirteen years to experience an empty house during the day...

And wouldn't you know it...

I already miss them.

Especially little Brit.

Last year I had her all to myself.

Thankfully, kindergarten is only half-day.

I'm not quite ready to give her away all day.

It seems like just yesterday I was carrying babies on my hip.

Now I'm watching five kids walk through five different classroom doors.

If there's one thing parenthood has taught me, it's this...

The days can feel long.

But the years are incredibly short.

Comments

dustin and amy said…
Your kids are beautiful! I know how you felt today. I had a hard time letting Brody go! I can't imagine what it's like when it's your baby. What product do you use in your boys hair? I need something good for Brody's hair.
kelli said…
you guys are such a good looking family...keep the good grades up this year!!!
BTC said…
You are the most extraordinary mother I have ever seen. I sit in awe at all of the things you do to make the lives of your children meaningful. They are so lucky to have you. You are a blessing to so many. It will only take a few days for you to fill the 3 hours your alone with some special way in which you serve someone or something. I love who you are, how you are, and who I am when because of you. And your beautiful, what a bonus.--Loving you BTC
Kelly said…
Oh my heck! Such cute kids!! And you are home alone!! Wow!! Im sure time will still fly by, and it will be time to get the kids! Miss seeing you guys! :)
Sally said…
Hi! Not sure how I landed upon your blog but was admiring your awesome photography and darling kids. Wondering where you found these cute clips in your girls hair...hoping etsy {I live in Boise}. If you get a chance...sallymtaylor@msn.com

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP