Organizing Tip

Are you one of those moms who never throws away crayons?

I have a confession...

I used to be one of them.

Our crayons usually lived in an old recycled baby wipe container that was overflowing with broken pieces, missing wrappers, and crayons that had definitely seen better days.

Every once in a while, we'd add a brand new crayon...

Usually one that found its way home from a restaurant.

Why?

I honestly have no idea.

A new box of crayons only costs a few dollars!

Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't just replace them every few months.

I've always been a fairly simple person.

I don't like clutter, and I love having a place for everything so I can actually find it when I need it.

Eventually, I found a solution that completely changed the way I organized all the little things around the house.

I picked up these photo storage boxes from OfficeMax, and they've been one of my favorite organizing purchases.

Each box holds six smaller containers, making it easy to separate everything.

I have one box just for craft supplies: crayons, Twistables, markers, pens, scissors, and all those little odds and ends.




Another box is filled with games like matching cards, puzzles, and card games.

No more torn game boxes!


My third box holds educational activities: homemade preschool books, phonogram cards, math activities, learning games, and everything else we used during school time.

It's such a simple system, but it keeps all the little things organized and easy to find.



And my favorite box?

The one labeled $$$.

Inside are separate envelopes for tithing, groceries, spending money, piano lessons, kids' lunch money, housecleaning, and other budget categories.

It has helped me stay organized with our finances just as much as it has with our craft supplies.

Sometimes the best organizing ideas aren't complicated.

They're simply finding a place for all the little things.

Comments

Castle Family said…
those are great!! might have to get me some! and I am alllll about chucking stuff. I probably throw away at least 3-4 toys a week just because I'm sick of the kids leaving it out. (don't tell on me). I threw away a perfectly good set of Dora Dominoes 1 piece at a time until it was all gone :)
Huish Family said…
love the ideas! Thanks.
Unknown said…
Super boxes, and you have a great idea to give each box one purpose. To help stray puzzle pieces find their way back home, I use a marker to write one number on the back of each puzzle piece and write that same number on the box. It makes returning a lost piece to the right box so much easier. I have an organizing blog you ever need inspiration or want to submit a "stump the organizer question:" www.clear-spaces.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP