A Doll from SANTA

The year before, we decided to try something completely different for Christmas.

Instead of waking up to a tree overflowing with presents, our family spent the season shopping for and providing Christmas gifts for others. We wanted our children to experience the joy of giving before receiving.

We also planned our very first family ski trip to Park City, spending Christmas week together in the mountains.

Before we left, we made a deal with the kids.

When we returned home, each of them could choose one special gift of their own.

Everyone seemed excited about the plan...

...until Christmas morning.

There were no presents under the tree.

A little while later, I found the girls sitting quietly at the kitchen table with paper and crayons. They were writing a letter to Santa.

Along with their note, they drew a picture of Santa and his reindeer. Then they drew a picture of themselves—with tears streaming down their little faces.

Their question broke my heart.

"Dear Santa... why couldn't you find us?"

The moment I read those words, I immediately called Brandon, who was skiing with the boys.

"Please," I begged him, "find something to bring home."

But it was Christmas Day.

Every store was closed.

Not even Walmart was open.

Thankfully, the girls' disappointment didn't last forever. When we returned home from our vacation, they happily picked out the special gifts we had promised them.

But as their mother, those little letters stayed with me.

So when we planned another Christmas ski trip to Utah the following year, the boys were thrilled. They loved skiing so much they wanted to do it all over again...even if it meant another Christmas without presents.

This time, though...

Santa made sure he knew exactly where to find two little girls.

Waiting for them was a special delivery—a doll from Santa.

The smiles on their faces said everything.

Looking back, I'm grateful for both Christmases.

One taught our family about generosity, service, and creating memories together. The other reminded us that sometimes it's the smallest gifts...the ones given with love and understanding that become the most unforgettable.

And somewhere in a keepsake box, I still imagine those little letters to Santa... a tender reminder that while traditions may change, the wonder of childhood is something worth protecting.

Comments

So cute! We know all about the American Girl Dolls.They will love them and would absolutely go crazy if ever in one of the stores. Yeah for Santa!
Sonia said…
Yippee for Santa. I am so behind on my blog. I will update this week for sure. I miss you and hope to hang out soon. Call me when you get home. I am jealous, for sure, that you are playing in the snow. I look forward to seeing you. Have a safe trip and a Happy New Year's. Love ya. Sonia
Sonia said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Your lesson was FANTASTIC today!!! I would love to know your favorite books!! I was wondering if we could come visit teach you next wednesday around 9? my e-mail is amy.slm@cox.net
candice said…
That is so cute. Glad Santa fround the girls this year. :)

Those are the biggest icicles I have ever seen!!
Kelly said…
We are still here! My little one had a stuffy nose sunday, So i stayed home! Tally told me you gave an awesome lesson! Im so sad I missed it! Talan is available for you to hold anytime! :)

Popular posts from this blog

JUST ME AND THE GIRLS

CALI TRIP